Monday, July 17, 2006

Adventures in Fair Isle!

I cast on for the Manresa Leg Warmers over the weekend. They are definitely a challenge for me!

As far as my first attempt at fair isle, I think that I'm doing pretty well. I've got the two handed technique down and now am just playing with my tension. My one dilemma is...to weave, or not to weave! I hate the idea of the strands hanging all over on the back of my work, so I have been weaving them in:

The only thing that I don't like is that because this pattern is knit at a fairly loose gauge, I am able to see some of my contrasting color show through the front. Its hard to see in the photo, but much more noticeable in person:

I'm not complaining. I am liking my results so far, but I would not suggest this as a first fair isle project. Between the gauge issues and the double pointed needles, this is definitely a handful!

I am enjoying knitting this. I think that I like fair isle! (or stranding, or whatever it is properly referred to as) And I really like this yarn! Andean Treasure from KnitPicks. I love the colors and I will definitely use it again!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, looks great to me. I can't believe that's your first try. I still fear Fair Isle.

Rain said...

It's looking good so far. I wouldn't worry too much about the show through, you can't see it in the photos and who is going to be examining your legs that closely when you wear them?

I try to weave into the parts that use that colour even if it means jumping up a row or two, but I know it's not always possible.